Expanded Intravenous Therapy Course for the LPN
Iowa Law and Administrative Rules (655 IAC, Chapter 6) allows the Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) to perform IV therapy functions.
The IV therapy course is currently offered by some Iowa Community College Continuing Education (CE) Departments and other Board approved CE providers.
The IV Therapy course content includes clarified IV therapy nomenclature and information based on the latest standards of practice. The course is an application of both theory and practice related to IV therapy functions.
Contact the individual CE providers for the availability and scheduling of the courses. The course must be offered by an approved Iowa Board of Nursing provider of nursing CE. Those providers who have access to the curriculum as of September 2021 are as follows:
- Des Moines Area Community College, Des Moines - Provider #22
- Hawkeye Community College, Cedar Falls - Provider #5
- Health Education Center, Fort Dodge - Provider #10
- Indian Hills Community College, Ottumwa - Provider #12
- Iowa Lakes Community College, Emmetsburg - Provider #19
- Iowa Western Community College, Council Bluffs - Provider #6
- Kirkwood Community College, Cedar Rapids - Provider #30
- North Iowa Area Community College, Mason City - Provider #3
- Northeast Iowa Community College, Calmar - Provider #7
- Southeastern Community College, West Burlington - Provider #24
- Southwestern Community College, Creston - Provider #9
- Western Iowa Tech Community College, Sioux City - Provider #21
- Specialty Infusion Services, Omaha, NE - Provider #364