Expanded Intravenous Therapy Course for the LPN
Iowa Law and Administrative Rules (655 IAC, Chapter 6) allows the Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) to perform IV therapy functions.
The IV therapy course is currently offered by some Iowa Community College Continuing Education Departments and the updated curriculum is now be offered by Board approved providers. Existing or already-planned courses may be finished, but discontinuance of the old LPN IV Therapy curriculum will be completed by January 1, 2021. All future coursework must use the updated curriculum with a release date of 2020.
The IV Therapy course content includes clarified IV therapy nomenclature and information based on the latest standards of practice. The course is an application of both theory and practice related to IV therapy functions.
Contact the individual community colleges' departments of Continuing Education for the availability and scheduling of the courses. The courses must be offered by an approved Iowa Board of Nursing provider of nursing continuing education. The approved providers are as follows:
- Des Moines Area Community College, Des Moines - Provider #22
- Hawkeye Community College, Cedar Falls - Provider #5
- Indian Hills Community College, Ottumwa - Provider #12
- Health Education Center, Fort Dodge - Provider #10
- Iowa Western Community College, Council Bluffs - Provider #6
- Kirkwood Community College, Cedar Rapids - Provider #30
- North Iowa Area Community College, Mason City - Provider #3
- Southeastern Community College, West Burlington - Provider #24
- Southwestern Community College, Creston - Provider #9
- Western Iowa Tech Community College, Sioux City - Provider #21