Iowa Law & Administrative Rules (655 IAC, chapter 6) allow LPNs to perform Expanded Intravenous Therapy.
The LPN must complete Course One or Course Two, as applicable, to access a midline catheter and a PICC line.
Contact the individual community colleges' Departments of Continuing Education for the availability and scheduling of the courses. The courses must be offered by an approved Iowa Board of Nursing provider of nursing continuing education. The approved community college providers are as follows:
- Des Moines Area Community College, Des Moines - Provider #22
- Eastern Iowa Community College, Davenport - Provider #8
- Hawkeye Community College, Cedar Falls - Provider #5
- Indian Hills Community College, Ottumwa - Provider #12
- Iowa Central Community College, Fort Dodge - Provider #10
- Iowa Lakes Community College, Emmetsburg - Provider #19
- Iowa Valley Community College, Marshalltown - Provider #18
- Iowa Western Community College, Council Bluffs - Provider #6
- Kirkwood Community College, Cedar Rapids - Provider #30
- North Iowa Area Community College, Mason City - Provider #3
- Northeast Iowa Community College, Dubuque - Provider #7
- Northwest Iowa Community College, Sheldon - Provider #23
- Southeastern Community College, West Burlington - Provider #24
- Southwestern Community College, Creston - Provider #9
- Western Iowa Tech Community College, Sioux City - Provider #21
Course One – Expanded Intravenous Therapy for the Licensed Practical Nurse. This course has been developed for the LPN taking the course for the first time. Course One incorporates content covering intravenous therapy via a peripheral intravenous catheter, midline catheter and a PICC line.
Course Two – Update to the Intravenous Therapy Course. This course has been developed for the LPN who has taken the initial board-approved course prior to the revisions. Course Two incorporates content covering intravenous therapy via a midline catheter and PICC line.