Reactivation from inactive status for RN's and LPN's is available Online at IBON Online Services- Choose "Reactivate a License/Registration." If you complete the reactivation application online, the Fingerprint Card packet will be automatically mailed to your address of record. If you do NOT need the Fingerprint Cards please email: firstname.lastname@example.org to NOT send the Fingerprint Card packet.
Licensees may also request paper forms to reactivate. Click here to send an e-mail to request these forms be mailed. Request Forms.
Fingerprint Cards are NOT available online. Check with your local police station or sheriff's office to see if BLUE APPLICANT Fingerprint Cards are available from their office.
Reactivation Forms/Information available to print:
- Criminal History Background Check Waiver Form
- Instructions for Completing the Fingerprint Cards
- Fingerprint Card Sample and Descriptor Codes
- CE Report form for reactivations
- National Licensure Compact Fact Sheet
For reactivation of an inactive license, the licensee will be required to submit:
- Reactivation Application (Online or Paper Application)
- Two Fingerprint Cards (To conduct a national criminal history background check)
- Signed Waiver
- Total fee of $225.00; ($175 Reactivation Fee & $50 Criminal History Background Check Fee) paid online or by personal check or money order payable to the Iowa Board of Nursing.
- Continuing education certificates (The requirement for reactivation is 1.2 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) or 12 Contact Hours that were earned in the previous 12 months.)
To avoid confusion, if not completing the Online Application and Fee, PLEASE submit all REQUIRED documents listed above within the same envelope.
A reactivated license is issued for two years plus the number of months to the birth month, to return the licensee to the three-year license cycle by birth month. Because the license period is less than three years, the continuing education requirement for the first renewal after reactivation will be 24 contact hours/2.4 CEUs.
The board requires 5 working days to process a reactivation. Reactivated licenses are printed on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
To verify the status of your license, you may use the online verification system accessible through this web site (License Number Required).
Go to IBON Onlines Services and “Check the Status of an Application in Process” prior to calling the Nursing Board office.