Iowa Board of Nursing
Kathleen R. Weinberg, MSN, RN, Executive Director

Licensure for Foreign Graduates

How do I apply for licensure in Iowa as a graduate from outside of the US?


See the checklist and instructions at the following link: Foreign Educated Nurses

Do I have to have a Social Security Number in the US?


No, but you must provide documentation as to how you entered the US, such as a current VISA.  A passport is not acceptable.

Do I have to be licensed in my home country?


Yes, you must have been licensed in the country where you received your education.  It is not required for the home country license to be active. 

Do you require official nursing transcripts from my school?


No, because the transcripts are part of the CGFNS evaluation.  

Where can I find more help about the Foreign Graduate application?


Check this link on the website: Foreign Educated Nurses. Or, contact, or by telephone at 515.281.3264.

Printed from the Iowa Board of Nursing website on January 23, 2021 at 3:10am.