You are here

Licensure for Foreign Graduates

You must have been licensed in the country educated in.  You must either have a Social Security Number or submit the documents that allow you access to the United States.

Apply to CGFNS (Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools) and complete the Professional Report under Credentials Evaluation Service.

CGFNS will submit the results of the report to the Iowa Board of Nursing and then the board will mail you a packet to apply for the examination if you meet the requirements for Iowa licensure.

Contact CGFNS by visiting their website at:

No, but you must provide documentation as to how you entered the US such as a current VISA.  A passport is not acceptable.

Yes, you must have been licensed in the country educated in.  It is not required for the home country license to be active. 

No, because the transcripts are part of the CGFNS evaluation.  

Check this link on the website: RN/LPN Licensure by Examination for Foreign Graduates. Or, email