Fee Waiver for Federal Poverty Level Thresholds
Application for licensure must be initiated before the fee waiver request will be reviewed.
There will be a delay in your initial license application due to the processing time required for the fee waiver.
Once Board staff receives the fee waiver documentation in the office (listed below) it will be reviewed.
- If you qualify, the licensing fee will be waived and you will continue with the application process.
- If your waiver request documentation does not meet the guidelines then you will be notified via email. You can then login and pay the standard licensing fee. Licensing review will not proceed until the fee is paid.
What is the fee waiver?
Effective January 1, 2021, according to HF 2627, individuals whose household adjusted gross income does not exceed 200% of the federal poverty level guideline may request a waiver of application fees.
- Fees include license application and criminal background check fees.
- Fees do not include exam fees paid directly to the testing center.
- Fee waiver applies only to first time license applicants in the state.
- Fees cannot be waived for license renewals or reactivations.
To determine eligibility, you must first identify the number of individuals in your household.
- A household income is defined as the income of the tax filer, his or her spouse, and any tax dependents. If you are claimed as a dependent on someone else's taxes, the income used for calculation must be that of the overall household.
Reference the Federal Poverty Level (effective 1/13/2021) to identify the income that matches the number of individuals in your household. If your household adjusted gross income, as reported on your most recent federal tax return, is less than the identified value, you are eligible for the one-time fee waiver.
Poverty Level per Individuals in the Household:
1 person - $25,760
2 people - $34,840
3 people - $43,920
4 people - $53,000
5 people - $62,080
6 people - $71,160
7 people - $80,240
8 people - $89,320
If you wish to apply for a fee waiver you must attest that your household adjusted income does not exceed 200% of the federal poverty level. To demonstrate eligibility to waive your initial licensing fee(s), you must include a copy of your Federal Tax Return for the prior year:
- If you filed single, submit your individual Federal Tax Return
- If you are married and filed jointly, submit the joint Federal Tax Return
- If you are married and filed separately, submit both your Federal Tax Return and your spouse's Federal Tax Return.
- If someone claimed you as a dependent on their tax return, submit the Federal Tax Return of the filer who claimed you as their dependent.
- Letter of explanation as to why the applicant cannot provide any of the above and attestation to meeting the requirements.
See the Fee Waiver for Federal Poverty Level Thresholds - Submission Form
Questions can be emailed to FeeWaiver@iowa.gov