Skip to main content
Official State of Iowa Website Here is how you know
Kathleen R. Weinberg, MSN, RN, Executive Director

Complaints the IBON Will Not Investigate

The Iowa Board of Nursing investigates LPNs, RNs, and ARNPs.

The Board does not regulate the following:

  • An unlicensed person claiming to be a nurse
    • The Board has no jurisdiction over these individuals. Contact the County Attorney.
  • Certified Nursing Assistants, Certified Medication Aides, Nurse Aides
    • Contact the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals at 515.281.0108 or visit their website.
  • Other unlicensed personnel, such as Medical Assistants and Residential Care Workers
    • Contact the employer.
  • Labor/Personnel issues (such as how many hours you work, an employer owing you pay, or staffing issues)
    • Contact the Iowa Division of Labor at 515.242.5870. 
  • Physicians
    • Contact the Iowa Board of Medicine at 515.281.6641. 
  • Physician Assistants
    • Contact the Iowa Board of Physician Assistants 515.281.0254. 
  • Insurance coverage or other billing grievances
    • If a nurse allegedly falsified records or knowingly permitted the use of falsified information, report it to us.  

The Board will accept anonymous complaints. Keep in mind this may limit how much information the investigator may be able to find or access.

Updated 11/9/2022