- All live continuing education courses attended within the state of Iowa, are required to be offered by an approved Iowa Board of Nursing provider. Live courses that come into Iowa via distance learning technologies such as satellite conferences or teleconferences are also included in this requirement. The provider's approval should be evident, because the provider number is required to appear on the written advertisement and the certificate of attendance.
- Self-study courses and on-site courses attended outside of Iowa are acceptable if they qualify as appropriate subject matter, and are either covered by an approved Iowa provider, or have been granted special approval, or are approved by one of the following:
- The American Nurses Association (American Nurses' Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation)
- The National League for Nursing
- The National Federation of Licensed Practical Nurses
- National Association for Practical Nurse Education and Service, Inc.
- A board of nursing in any other mandatory continuing education state.
- Special approval process and form.
- For courses attended outside of the United States, contact the board office at 515-281-8808.
Reference: IAC 655, Chapter 5-5.2(2)f
Last updated: 11/14