The administrative rules waive the continuing education requirement for any licensee who meets any of the following conditions:
- Active military duty during all or part* of the licensure period. If audited, the licensee must be able to provide documentation of active military standing, such as service orders or a letter from a superior officer.
- Residence outside of Iowa and licensure in another mandatory continuing education state during all or part* of the licensure period. If audited, the licensee must submit a photocopy of a current license in another state that also has a mandatory continuing education requirement, and the license must show an address outside of Iowa.
- Employment by the Federal Government as a registered or licensed practical nurse, and assignment to duty outside of the United States during all or part* of the licensure period. If audited, the licensee must be able to provide documentation of both employment by the government, as well as the overseas assignment.
- Foreign service during all or part* of the licensure period, as a registered or licensed practical nurse outside the United States, where a current nursing license is required. If audited, the licensee must be able to provide documentation of both the foreign service, and that either the foreign government or the employer (such as a missionary group), requires a current stateside nursing license.
- Current certification in a specialty area for the advanced registered nurse practitioner at the time of license renewal.
- Physical or mental disability during the licensure period. This waiver requires that an application be completed and signed by a physician. The requirement may be partially or entirely waived, or an extension of time may be granted in which to complete the continuing education requirement. The application can be obtained by any of the following means:
- Telephone 515.281.8808
- E-mail to Laura Hudson
- FAX to 515.281.425
- Writing to the general address: Iowa Board of Nursing, 400 SW 8th St Suite B, Des Moines, IA 50309-4685
*The requirement is waived for the entire license period for any licensee who meets the conditions for waivers 1, 2, 3 or 4 at the time of his/her renewal. If the conditions for these waivers are met for only a portion of the licensure period, but not at the time of renewal, contact the board office directly for additional assistance.
Reference: 655 IAC 5.2(3)
Last updated: 3/14/13